An overview of how Enterprise Imaging supported the multidisciplinary needs of Istituti Fisioterapici Ospitalieri (IFO), an oncology hospital and research centre in Rome, Italy, and how it enhanced the productivity and efficiency of its radiology services.
- Istituti Fisioterapici Ospitalieri (IFO) is a renowned scientific institute in Rome, Italy. IFO is a public hospital that specialises in oncology and dermatology.
- In June 2020, IFO went live with Agfa HealthCare’s Enterprise Imaging solution, which includes the Enterprise Imaging for Radiology platform, the Elefante RIS and the XERO Universal Viewer.
- The platform has upgraded the radiologists’ PACS function and has improved efficiency and productivity.
- Enterprise Imaging has automated the workflow and has resulted in the elimination of repetitive tasks.
- Since the implementation of the Enterprise Imaging solution, the number of CTs increased from 16,422 in 2019 to 18493 in 2020, and the number of MRIs increased from 5099 in 2019 to 5706 in 2020.
Istituti Fisioterapici Ospitalieri (IFO) is a renowned scientific institute in Rome, Italy. IFO is a public hospital that specialises in oncology and dermatology. It comprises two scientific institutes: the Reginal Elena National Cancer Institute (IRE) and the Dermatological Institute S. Gallicano (ISG), both of which are scientific institutes for research, hospitalisation and care (IRCCS).
IFO handles about 10,000 inpatient admissions and 1,275,000 outpatient appointments each year. It also carries out 100,000 imaging exams each year. The hospital is well-known for its focus on research and high-quality patient care, and, in particular, its commitment to supporting patients and staff by using the most advanced technology. IFO follows rigorous protocols and is known for its collaboration with international institutions to ensure patients are supported throughout their care journey - from diagnosis to therapy - with a personalised, end-to-end care plan.
In June 2020, IFO went live with Agfa HealthCare’s Enterprise Imaging solution. The goal was to implement an image management solution that could integrate advanced research technology and increase efficiency and productivity. So far, the research hospital has shown a successful increase in its productivity in radiology and fast, secure and easy imaging access for specialists and researchers.
Supporting a Smarter Hospital
At IFO, the goal is to bring the highest degree of digitisation and to ensure clinicians have access to the information they need and when they need it for accurate diagnosis, care and research, in a smart way. According to Guiseppe Navenateir, IT and Clinical Engineering Manager for IFO, the research hospital looks for new and improved image management technologies and applications every three years.
Advanced image management solutions are critical for IFO. That is why it was natural to transition to Agfa HealthCare’s Enterprise Imaging solution, which includes the Enterprise Imaging for Radiology platform, the Elefante RIS and the XERO Universal Viewer. This comprehensive solution offers radiologists access to advanced functionalities and specialised applications that can be embedded in one platform.
The Enterprise Imaging platform enables radiologists and specialists to access diagnostic information whether they are in or outside the hospital. Also, the flexible RIS interfaces with the appointment system of the regional government, which is important for IFO.
Successful Implementation and Results with Enterprise Imaging
With the successful implementation of the Enterprise Imaging solution, IFO has seen the following positive results:
• The platform provides easy access to images, anywhere, anytime, for every specialist. Clinicians can access imaging studies immediately and can view images from the EMR or any other computer or mobile device through the XERO Universal Viewer. In addition, the XERO Xtend offers advanced clinical applications and 3D processing.
• The platform has upgraded the radiologists’ PACS function and has improved efficiency and productivity.
• Elefante RIS1 is integrated within the Enterprise Imaging platform and offers IFO the ability to customise it as per the specific needs of the hospital.
• Enterprise Imaging has automated the workflow and has resulted in the elimination of repetitive tasks.
• Since the implementation of the Enterprise Imaging solution, the number of CTs has increased from 16,422 in 2019 to 18493 in 2020, and the number of MRIs has increased from 5099 in 2019 to 5706 in 2020.
•The Business Intelligence feature with Enterprise Imaging helps the hospital monitor its radiology Key Performance Indicators so that the team can analyse areas for improvement and determine how to increase the quality and quantity of activities.
• The platform has increased the reach beyond the radiology department. Every case can be discussed between a number of specialists, and information can be exchanged easily and efficiently.
• The XERO Viewer allows patients to view their own images via the Patient Portal, also provided by Agfa HealthCare, and access their results from the comfort of their home. This feature also provides cost-savings to IFO as they no longer have to make CDs or DVDs.
Disclosure of conflict of interest: Point-of-View articles are the sole opinion of the author(s) and they are part of the HealthManagement.org Corporate Engagement or Educational Community Programme.